I have finally got back onto the mower rebuild!

I purchased a small sand blasting cabinet and dust extractor from the Hare and Forbes Machinery House 3-day sale a few weeks ago. Now I can start sandblasting the old paint and built-up rubbish from the outside of the engine casting, this should get things done a lot faster!

Sand blasting cabinet

It’s a small sand blasting cabinet, but should be fine for these small parts.

Using a 25Kg bag of Garnet that I also bought from the sale, I have sandblasted the head of the Briggs & Stratton after plugging up the spark plug hole with an old sparkplug, it’s cleaning up quite nicely :)

Sand blasting briggs and stratton head Sand blasted briggs & stratton head

I need to go over it a few more times to remove some little bits I missed, however I am quite happy with the results. I just hope I can find time to do the rest of it soon.

I was going through a box of lathe parts that I had not sorted through yet and I came across what looked like a compound slide of some sort, then it hit me, it was a vertical slide attachment for the lathe. On closer inspection I realised that the style of the casting and the paint colour matched that of the Advance Lathe.

Here are a few pic’s after I removed the compound slide and mounted the vertical slide to the cross slide of the Advance.

Advance Lathe Vertical SlideAdvance Lathe vertical slide

I think it may be an original Advance vertical slide attachment! now I can do milling of small parts in my lathe! :)

I also found a little vice that looks like it has been modified with a new base to align the mounting holes to the T-slots on the vertical slide!

Advance Lathe milling attachmentAdvance Lathe milling attachment

Attached to the vertical slide was an odd-looking attachment, again similar colour paint. I think their may be a few parts to it missing but to me it looks like some kind of gear cutting attachment, another original Advance lathe accessory? perhaps so..

Advance Lathe gear cutting attachment

If you know what this is and how it should be used please leave a comment.

I’m very excited that I have found what seems to be genuine attachments for the Advance Lathe, I had no idea that grandpa had these items for the lathe, I often wondered how he got by without any milling equipment. If I can get some gear cutting going as well as milling I’ll be very happy.

One of the machines I want for my little workshop is a power hacksaw or horizontal bandsaw to cut my stock to length to place in the lathe. I was after a good old unit that could be a nice restoration project, I enjoy the idea of restoring/rebuilding machinery, then I know for sure it’s in good condition and will also know it back to front.

I came across this ‘oldie-but-goodie’ on ebay which looked like it needed a bit of work to bring it back. This is the original picture as advertised:

Power Hacksaw Untouched

I received the hacksaw today, I’m quite happy with it.

Power Hacksaw

It’s a very nice, heavy and sturdy machine, all the mechanisms seem to move freely and as expected when I turn the belt wheel by hand the saw goes through the forward cutting motion, then on return lifts the blade, however the cylinder isn’t working so after the return the blade comes down with the full weight of the upper portion of the machine into the work piece, this would break teeth of the blade or the blade itself so I decided not to power it up for an initial test run until I at least fix that issue.

Another issue with the saw is the bed where the vice clamp is, the casting is actually cracked straight through and has been repaired at some stage (and not very well), the surface level of the bed either side of the crack is not level, the repair can be seen on the side, a metal strip has been bolted and welded to hold the two pieces together.

Broken power hacksaw bed

It looks like the hacksaw had been neglected for a while, the tray was almost full to the brim of rusted filings which had formed one solid piece over time. I managed to pry it out and break it up, finding many broken blades buried under the filings. To my surprise the tray itself is still in good condition, I expected the worst that it would be almost rusted through.

Tray full of filings

I will detail the restoration process as I go, I will start by stripping the machine down into it’s individual parts, degrease and clean them, then sand blast old paint off, replace any broken or worn parts, new coat of paint then oil and re-assemble. However I still have other ‘Work in Progress..’ which I have not finished yet! so it might be a while before I get started on it.